db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: please tell me emails of the two mentors for GSOC
Date Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:25:36 GMT
Junjie Peng wrote:

>    Oh, I got it! Thank you, Kathy! Nice to hear from you! I enjoy unit
> testing in my development. It's a good way to look inside a project,
> and take knowledge of the framework.
>    Below are questions about GSOC:

First good pages on the Wiki to start to learn about the project are:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForNewDevelopers

>    1. The task "Convert Derby tests to JUnit and fix Derby bugs "
> comprises two parts, what are the weight for each of them?  Does it
> mean that converting is just a lightweight task, so should be
> complemented by the second task?

You could spend your whole summer converting tests and that would be
great.  The balance is really up to you.

>    2. Weather the converting task only contains "converting old tests
> to JUnit "in the page http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTesting ?

Right that is a good page to start.  Particularly the page
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/KillDerbyTestHarness has some good
information on converting tests to JUnit and the page
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ConvertOldTestToJunitTips has tips for
converting.

>    3.  What should I do is just converting or including writing some
> new test case?

Mostly conversions, but if you want to add some new tests to increase
coverage that would be great too.

>    4. I've seen some coverage report about Derby test. Is there some
> automatic tool to do this? Or should we develop one?

We use emma.  Details are at:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/CodeCoverageWithEMMA

>    5. As for bug-fixing, I feel a puzzle. It seems hard to choose some
> bugs to fix for a stranger, I'm not sure about which are suitable for
> me and the workload of fixing the bugs. Must I choose the bugs before
> I apply?

No you do not have to choose bugs before  you apply.    We mark really
easy issues with the Newcomer component to make it easy for you to get
started.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&component=12310640&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC
I'd probably start you off with something like DERBY-3556 or DERBY-3554
so you could
get familiar with the build and test environment and get some easy
changes in.  From there we can
customize the project to your interests and skill and comfort level.

Probably the one thing that would impress me most on an application is
that you
have already set up  your build and test environment.

Kathey