db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Summer of Code 2008 - A few Questions
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:24:22 GMT
Christopher Saunders wrote:
>          I am interested in getting involved with the summer of code
> but would like to ask a few questions.
> I am going to be going to classes this summer semester but would still
> like to contribute to the derby project.
I think typically students are working full time on Google Soc, but I
guess it is really up to you and how much you can handle.  It  is hard
for me to say without knowing your work.  Are you a graduate student or
undergrad?  Perhaps some of our past students can comment on whether
they think it is feasible to take classes at the same time. If you don't
want the pressure of a formal project and setting goals etc, you can
still contribute and just not participate in the program. To get a feel
for how you'll do,  set up your build and test environment and see how
long it takes to get the tests running cleanly, then maybe get started
on converting  a JUnit test or pickup a Newcomer issue.  If you can
achieve these goals by March 31, (the application deadline), I think you
should be fine. See:

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev

for tips on getting started.

Kathey