db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: What is a beta build?
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:03:54 GMT
Hi Dyre,

I believe that the best distribution would be a release candidate with
the beta bit turned on. The snapshot machinery creates distributions
which don't include the user guides--at least that's how snapshots used
to work. I think that a beta test should verify that the release behaves
the way that the user guides say it should--so I would recommend
building a full candidate.

In general, the closer the beta is to a real release, the more feedback
you will get during the beta test. That  should reduce the number of
release candidates you have to build later on.

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> I'm getting ready to upload a beta build of the 10.4 release to
> people.apache.org, but I'm a bit unsure about exactly what I should
> upload.
>
> Initally I thought that building a snapshot (as described here
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease#head-ca6374d27cdfcc7180a5c6d88505574d049bdc18
> ) was the right thing to do, but now I'm wondering if it rather should be as
> close to a release candidate as possible, but without the beta flag?
>
> When I look at the instructions for building a snapshot vs building a
> release, the only difference I see is that for the RC you also do
>
> 'ant publishedapi' and 'ant sign'
>
> For a release candidate the instructions tell you to "copy the files
> from tools/release to your public_html directory on people.apache.org."
> Is this true for a beta build as well?

Yes, please.