db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Vemund Ostgaard <Vemund.Ostga...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Question about collatedSuite()
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:37:55 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> I noticed in CollationTest.collatedSuite()  we run
> DatabaseMetaDataTest, BatchUpdateTest,
> GroupByExpressionTest, and UpdateableResultSetTest for each of four
> locales.  I wonder if
> that really adds a lot of coverage or if it would be sufficient to run
> them with just one of the
> locales.  Thoughts?  It adds a fair amount of time to lang._Suite.

I agree that it seems a bit excessive. I think it would be enough to run
all the tests you list with the default (en_US ?) and "one other"
locale. The default, as it is the most common case and "one other" as it
represents the equivalence class of locale != default. I think testing
with more locales should be targeted at specific known problems or
challenges, like the test<locale>Collation() methods do.

Vemund