db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Preparing to cut the 10.4 branch
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:09:40 GMT
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> writes:
>
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>
>>> When I run sysinfo against the branch, it reports that the version
>>> id is "10.4.0.1 alpha - (635685)". It think that you need to modify
>>> the 3rd digit in the release id. I believe that is the secret
>>> handshake which turns an alpha into a beta.
>> The "secret handshake" is documented here:
>>
>>   http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/versionupgrade.html
>
> I'm sorry, but this is utterly confusing to me.
>
> tools/ant/properties/release.properties contains a property called
> 'beta' that can either be 'true' or 'false'
>
> The wiki page (http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease)
> talks about the 'beta flag'.
>
> You are saying that the 'beta flag' does not refer to the previously
> mentioned property, but to whether or not the 3rd digit of the version
> number (the fixpack number) is 0 or not?

No, to quote the document:

"Fixpack (f) of 0 (zero) is a special value that indicates alpha quality
software and causes version string to be appended with the word "alpha"."

Thus the third digit being 0 always marks the software as alpha,
regardless of any setting of the beta flag, it overrides it.

Dan.