db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Junit hang
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 01:59:35 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM> writes:
>

>> I would appreciate people's advice about how to track down a hang in
>> the Junit tests. I have added a new test case to
>> TableFunctionTest. When I execute the test standalone, it runs
>> fine. When I execute the surrounding suite, everything succeeds
>> also. However, when I run the full set of junit tests, the run hangs
>> in a later suite. I tried increasing the memory given to the testrun,
>> but this does not fix the problem. I would appreciate:
>>
>> 1) advice about how to instrument the test run so that I know which
>> test case I'm hanging in
>>

> A thread dump could possibly help, and it would show if there are any
> Java level deadlocks. Either do a kill -QUIT on the Java process, or use
> the jstack utility bundled with the JDK (I'm assuming that you're still
> using JDK 1.5 on Mac?).
>

>> 2) random theories which may occur to you
>>

> stress.multi hung in many runs last week because of a deadlock between
> TableDescriptorOIDCache and TableDescriptorNameCache. Should be fixed
> now, though. A thread dump would tell whether that's the problem.

Thanks, Knut. Increasing the max PermGen size got the tests past the
out-of-memory-error. They then hung on test case 8515 out of 8520, in
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.replicationTests.ReplicationRun_Local_StateTest_part1.

I interrupted the tests with "kill -quit" as you recommended. I'm
attaching the console output.

Regards,
-Rick