db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Junit hang
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:54:32 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I would appreciate people's advice about how to track down a hang in the
> Junit tests. I have added a new test case to TableFunctionTest. When I
> execute the test standalone, it runs fine. When I execute the
> surrounding suite, everything succeeds also. However, when I run the
> full set of junit tests, the run hangs in a later suite. I tried
> increasing the memory given to the testrun, but this does not fix the
> problem. I would appreciate:
>
> 1) advice about how to instrument the test run so that I know which test
> case I'm hanging in

Hi Rick,

A simple hack is to print something in BaseTestCase.runBare, somewhere
before line 101. There is already some tracing code in there (but it
doesn't trace the start of a test at the moment), and if you want to
contribute the code you could possibly do so by attaching your changes
to DERBY-2667.

If you have the time and energy, you could also give your comments on
the patch derby-2667-WriteExceptionsToFileAsTheyHappen.diff ;)

regards,
--
Kristian

[ snip ]