db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Another kind of stress.multi failiure
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2008 22:13:15 GMT
I am looking at another type of stress.multi failure that doesn't have
an immediate cause apparent in
the derby.log that I can see.

The diff is:
7 del
< ...running last checks via final.sql
7 add
 > ...timed out trying to kill all testers,
 >    skipping last scripts (if any).  NOTE: the
 >    likely cause of the problem killing testers is
 >    probably not enough VM memory OR test cases that
 >    run for very long periods of time (so testers do not
 >    have a chance to notice stop() requests
Test Failed.

The testers that are stuck are stuck on the same statement e.g.
--
update main2 set y = 'zzz' where x = 5;
ERROR 08000: Connection closed by unknown interrupt.

The interupt exception shows:
java.lang.InterruptedException
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:199)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericStatement.prepMinion(GenericStatement.java:195)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericStatement.prepare(GenericStatement.java:88)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext.prepareInternalStatement(GenericLanguageConn
ctionContext.java:768)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.execute(EmbedStatement.java:606)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.execute(EmbedStatement.java:555)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.ij.executeImmediate(ij.java:329)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain.doCatch(utilMain.java:508)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain.runScriptGuts(utilMain.java:350)

The code at line 195 of GenericStatement shows:
                try {
                    preparedStmt.wait();
                } catch (InterruptedException ie) {
                    throw StandardException.interrupt(ie);
                }

My first guess is that this is perhaps some type of Statement cache
concurrency bug, but perhaps
I am reading it wrong.  My question is: Is this enough information to
file a bug or am I likely
missing something else important in the derby.log?

Thanks

Kathey