db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Lawrence Mandel <lman...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Derby Eclipse plug-in updates
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 18:04:17 GMT
Since v3.0 Eclipse has been based on OSGi. The Derby Eclipse plug-ins are
still making use of the older plug-in style. I thought I could contribute
by updating the Derby plug-ins to the new style. Checking Jira I see there

are a few open Eclipse issues that have been open for some time including
repackaging the Derby Eclipse plug-ins as OSGi bundles (as I intended on
doing), creating Eclipse features (also a good idea), and repackaging
org.apache.derby.core as 4 bundles instead of including the 4 jars in a
single bundle. I'd add the creation of an Eclipse update site and changing

the zip structure to include the eclipse directory so the extracted
plug-ins are in the eclipse/plugins directory as is the Eclipse
convention.

I'm posting for two reasons:

1. To declare my intention to contribute some changes to the Eclipse
plug-ins and ask if anyone currently owns the Derby Eclipse plug-ins or is

working on these issues.

2. To solicit thoughts on whether it is better to keep a single
org.apache.derby.core plug-in or break up this plug-in into 4 plug-ins
org.apache.derby, org.apache.derby.client, org.apache.derby.net, and
org.apache.derby.tools. As well, I understand that there is already a
Derby OSGi bundle. Is there a reason to have two bundles derby and
org.apache.derby? Can we create a single bundle?

Thanks,

Lawrence Mandel
-
Co-author Eclipse Web Tools Platform: Developing Java Web Applications
http://www.eclipsewtp.org