db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Lawrence Mandel <lman...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Derby Eclipse plug-in updates
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 03:39:01 GMT
Thanks again Andrew. I think I've got what I need to get going. And, for
documentation purposes, I already have an ICLA on file with the ASF.

Lawrence

"Andrew McIntyre" <fuzzylogic@apache.org>
Sent by: mcintyre.a@gmail.com
02/07/2008 09:45 PM
Please respond to
<derby-dev@db.apache.org>

derby-dev@db.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Derby Eclipse plug-in updates

On Feb 7, 2008 4:23 PM, Lawrence Mandel <lmandel@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> Actually, I've been working on as ASF project for a while now. I'm
leading
> the Web Services Woden project [1]. On Woden there are developers who
> "own" a piece of code in the sense that they know it best and are the
> first contact for reviews of patches related to the code. It sounds like
> things work a little differently with Derby.

In general, the Derby community has discouraged having assigned
component owners. That probably is different from some other Apache
projects. One of the reasons being to encourage people to jump in and
learn about and work on areas they are unfamiliar with, and not be
discouraged because someone "owns" an area and think that they'll
probably take care of the issue.

> Once I have a patch ready for
> review is there someone specific I should cc on the Jira issue? Is there
> another mechanism by which reviews are requested? (Does someone monitor
> Jira updates? Should I post to the dev list?)

There's a lot of good info at http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PatchAdvice

The dev list gets all updates to JIRA issues, and most communication
on issues ends up going through JIRA. If you edit an issue and click
the 'Patch Available' box after you attach a patch to an issue, then
the issue is included in the list of JIRA issues with patches that is
sent to the list each day. Sometimes that's all you need to do, but if
it lingers for a while without any reviews, then a mail to the list
asking for a review will usually get a quick response.

> >It is derby.jar itself that is packaged as an OSGi bundle. I would
> >expect a lot of pushback to renaming derby.jar to something else. :-)
> >I think it makes sense to add the new OSGi packaging alongside the
> >current set of jars, or is there some reason not to do that that I am
> >missing?
>
> Are you suggesting that the current jars simply be augmented with an
OSGi
> manifest and, if required, an activator?

I'm saying leave the current jars as-is, and make new packages that
don't include the current jars, but repackage the classes in a way
that follow OSGi and Eclipse conventions. I think this is what you
were originally suggesting, but you asked if we needed two packages. I
think the answer is yes, we should keep the current packaging
(derby.jar, etc.) and improve the OSGi packaging to match current
practice. (org.apache.derby.etc...)

Most of the issues you mentioned are covered by or mentioned in
DERBY-3031. DERBY-631 is probably a good place to start, you should
assign yourself to that issue, which covers the basic repackaging.

HTH,
andrew