db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Taglet Question: EndFormatTaglet and PurposeTaglet
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:24:19 GMT
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Barb Cochrane
<barb.cochrane@eclipse.org> wrote:

> EndFormatTaglet and PurposeTaglet both have the following attribution:   "//
> Adapted from ToDoTaglet.java, Copyright  2002."
>
> Hopefully the author of these files is on this distrib, because I'm
> wondering what the author means by "adapted from".   For example, does s/he
> mean "inspired by" or something more concrete than that?

That would be me. And actually, to be totally concrete, it would be
'erased everything but the method declarations to use as a stub.' I
wrote those taglets before I started using an IDE that would write
stubs for you, I'm sure I grabbed the ToDoTaglet out of the Taglet
tutorial and erased everything but the method declarations as an easy
way to get a stub implementation of a Taglet. There shouldn't be any
code from ToDoTaglet in either of those files. I probably put that
comment in to remind me where to get a stub if I needed one. I'm sort
of surprised they don't all have that comment, since I'm quite sure I
used my first implementation as a template for the others.

But I'm more surprised that this was not caught sooner. I'll remove
the comment as it actually inaccurate, and was not meant to reflect
inheritance from ToDoTaglet, any more than an IDE stub implementing a
Taglet would be.

andrew