db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: junit license
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:33:18 GMT
On Feb 13, 2008 2:45 PM, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
> I just downloaded junit 4.4. It comes with a BSD license. I notice that
> we don't check junit.jar into our codeline  however. Is the BSD license
> incompatible with Apache 2.0? I am not a lawyer, but it seems that we
> would satisfy the conditions of the junit license if we included a
> copyright notice and disclaimer in our NOTICE file.
>
> Other opinions?

If we don't redistribute it in any of our release artifacts, I don't
believe there's a need to add any notice. There are plenty of examples
of other projects that have checked junit.jar into the repository, and
do not give notice in their NOTICES file. See, e.g.:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xerces/java/trunk/tools/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/trunk/lib/

and notice in Xerces's case that they include the license along the jar.

If you plan on checking it in, there's a JIRA for it:

I was going to do it, but then abandoned it after somebody expressed
concern about JUnit 3.8.2 not working in some environment and figured
I would continue to leave it up to individuals to get the right one
for their environment.

I don't remember offhand what the issue was, but it's probably better
in the long run to go ahead and check in a version that works for most
people. Just make sure it is properly excluded from the release
distributions.

Thanks,
Andrew