db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SQL/MED
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:21:55 GMT
Hi Frank,

I'm not aware of any discussion of this topic on derby-dev. I have used
nabble (http://www.nabble.com/Apache-Database-f105.html) to search the
email archive for "sql med" and nothing came up. Your proposal sounds
like a good basis for a first implementation. Here are a couple more
thoughts:

1) This could grow arbitrarily complicated, depending on how much heavy
lifting you want the optimizer to do for you. With a little luck, you
could probably trick the optimizer into treating the foreign tables like
Table Functions. That would skirt some of the interesting optimizer issues.

2) A later implementation could get the optimizer involved and you could
build some interesting cost model for remote tables.

3) Alternatively, you might be able to get an optimizer expert like Army
involved early on. He might be able to help you divide and conquer this one.

You might want to start a wiki page on this topic and take it from there.

Regards,
-Rick