db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Frank Griffin <...@roadrunner.com>
Subject SQL/MED
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:53:09 GMT
To recap...

A while back, I asked about accessing foreign data from Derby.  Rick
very helpfully pointed me to Table Functions, and I've created a
prototype using Table Functions which accesses my foreign engine.  This
all works very nicely, within the design capabilities of Table Functions.

I had pointed out that without some way to push predicates, projection
and selection would be crippled, and lookup-type activities on large
result sets would be pretty inefficient.  Rick responded that for that
type of access to work well, what I probably wanted was SQL/MED.

So I've gotten the SQL/MED spec and poked through it a bit.  It looks
like exactly what I'd like.

Has there been any discussion of implementing SQL/MED in Derby ?  If so,
was there any resolution ?  From what I can see googling around, I can't
find any indication that any SQL engine actually provides a reference
implementation of SQL/MED, in spite of the fact that it's been in the
spec since 1999 and was enhanced in 2003.

I would be  interested in working on such an implementation in Derby,
assuming that the idea hasn't already been discussed and discarded.

>From what I can tell, this would require DDL syntax pretty much like
what Table Functions required.  CREATE FOREIGN TABLE would be very
similar to CREATE FUNCTION (TABLE) and the others are pretty simple (as
they don't require column definitions, and pretty much just specify
software and connection linkages).

It would also require walking the SQL parse tree and creating the Value
Expressions which describe the SELECT elements, the WHERE clause
components, and so forth.

Derby would be required to initialize the MED wrapper and pass a Request
Handle related to the actual query Derby would like the foreign wrapper
to execute.  The wrapper uses this Handle to query Derby about the
individual components of the Request, and accepts those that it can
handle.  Derby then makes its own arrangements to handle any screening
that the wrapper can't handle, and generates an execution plan which
involves calling the wrapper to do the parts of which it has declared
itself capable.

Beyond that, the support is very much like what Table Functions already
supports.  Derby activates the individual query components handled by
the wrapper, and navigates among the rows using a model pretty much like
the JDBC ResultSet model used by Table Functions.

Any interest in this, or am I beating a previously-deceased horse ?