db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ConnectionPoolDataSource properties
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:49:17 GMT
Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  From looking at the client driver, I get the impression the following
> expectation is valid:
>
> // Initial data source creation and configuration
> // Get physical connection
> PooledConnection pc = cpDs.getPooledConnection();
> // Get logical connection
> Connection con = pc.getConnection();
> // Reconfigure data source
> // Get a new *logical* connection
> con = pc.getConnection();
> // The new logical connection has the changes made to the data source.
>
> I thought you had to get a new pooled connection for the changes to take
> effect.
> Does anyone know?

I would expect the PooledConnection to retain its previous settings.

A pooling implementation is holding onto PooledConnection objects and
has some rules for how a logical connection request map to a given pool
(e.g. database TEST to pool A). If when the PooledConnection was created
it pointed to database TEST, but now points to database PRODUCTION I
think that would be a major surprise to a pooling implementation.

Good catch!
Dan.