db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject ConnectionPoolDataSource properties
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:36:22 GMT
Hello,

 From looking at the client driver, I get the impression the following
expectation is valid:

// Initial data source creation and configuration
// Get physical connection
PooledConnection pc = cpDs.getPooledConnection();
// Get logical connection
Connection con = pc.getConnection();
// Reconfigure data source
// Get a new *logical* connection
con = pc.getConnection();
// The new logical connection has the changes made to the data source.

I thought you had to get a new pooled connection for the changes to take
effect.
Does anyone know?

I was also surprised to discover that the client driver re-prepares all
open statements when you do PooledConnection.getConnection().
Has there been a statement pooling mechanism in place earlier?
Why aren't the statement just closed instead?

thanks,
--
Kristian

Here's a comment from am.Statement:
// If a dataSource is passed into resetClientConnection(), then we will
assume
// properties on the dataSource may have changed, and we will need to go
through
// the open-statement list on the connection and do a full reset on all
statements,
// including preparedStatement's and callableStatement's.  This is
because property
// change may influence the section we allocate for the
preparedStatement, and
// also the cursor attributes, i.e. setCursorSensitivity().
// If no dataSource is passed into resetClientConnection(), then we will
do the
// minimum reset required for preparedStatement's and callableStatement's.

KW: The method referred (resetClientConnection) does not exist anymore.