db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Branching and release.properties
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:27:30 GMT
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> Looking ahead to the upcoming branching for 10.4, I have some questions
> to the instructions at
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease
>
> The text instructs you to "edit tools/ant/release.properties". But this
> file does not exist, but tools/ant/properties/release.properties
> does. I'm I correct in assuming that there is a typo in the text?

Hi Dyre,

You may find it useful to keep track of these typos as you proceed and
then bulk-edit the instructions at the end. Alternatively, you may want
to fix each of these as you trip across it.
> Also, the wiki page only mentions changes to this file on TRUNK. Does
> that mean that the release.propertes NOW found on trunk, should be
> copied as is to the branch and remain unmodified until the first relase
> candidate is created? The text talks about "zero out the maint property
> and ensure that the beta flag is set to true". That is already true on
> trunk and doing svn copy will not change that. So is there an implicit
> intermediate step here where these properties are modified on trunk
> before cutting the branch?

As I recall, you do this:

1) Create the branch.

2) Update release.properties on the trunk so that it now refers to a
release that's far in the future (10.5 in your case).

3) Twiddle release.properties on the branch so that you will be building
a release candidate or a beta rather than an alpha. This is described in
step 1 under "For each release candidate". You can do this immediately
after creating the branch or you can wait until you build the first
candidate. My advice would be to do it sooner rather than later just to
give yourself plenty of time to dry run the release machinery.

The alpha-ness of the release number is a tricky side-effect of the
trailing two digits.
> I guess we will need a 10.5 release in Jira after this. Do I have the
> necessary karma to add this, and if so, how do I do it? I'm assuming
> this can be done before actually cutting the branch?

I have created a 10.5.0.0 for you.

Hope this helps,
-Rick