db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Impending release branch cut; how to mask unifinished roles feature
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 14:14:28 GMT
Hi Dag,

This seems like a fine approach to me. A couple comments inline...

Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am considering how to disable the committed roles code for 10.4,
> since the feature is not yet finished.
>
> The easiest and least intrusive way is just to let all new roles syntax
> give rise to:
>
>     ERROR 0A000: Feature not implemented: ROLES.
>
> and remove RolesTest from lang/_Suite.java. This leaves the dictionary
> changes (adding SYSROLES) in place, but I don't have any plans to
> change the format further, so having this in SYSROLES for 10.4 seems
> to cause no harm.

This ought to work even if you decide to sand down the catalog support
for 10.5. You'll just have to supply 10.4->10.5 upgrade logic to morph
the catalogs into their final form.

Then there's the issue of the 10.4 upgrade tests for the roles catalogs.
I think it's good to have some logic in there which verifies that the
10.4 catalogs look right. You can verify their shape I suppose. But,
having short-circuited the roles syntax, you won't be able to
test-populate the catalogs.
> The release notes will need some notes about the new reserved words,
> and the appearance of SYSROLES in the dictionary, I guess.

I agree that the release notes should mention the new reserved words.
I'm not sure you need to mention the unused catalogs, though.
> Does this sound like a reasonable approach, or should I do a deeper
> surgical cut? The proposed shallow approach, apart from being simple,
> also has the benefit of keeping the branch source closer to trunk.

+1 to keeping this simple and to minimizing merge issues.