db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Enabling the statement pooling feature early
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:46:18 GMT
Hello all,

I just want some opinions on whether it would be acceptable to enable
the JDBC statement pooling feature (DERBY-3313) already now, by
committing the patch for DERBY-3329.

This makes it easier for me to continue the development, and shouldn't
cause any problems for other people. You have to take active steps to
enable the feature.
Also, it might catch changes other people do that affects statement
pooling. One recent example of this is the exposure of the connection
prepare methods taking array arguments.
Last, it allows interested parties to test the feature. The steps
required to enable the feature are to obtain a connection through a
ClientConnectionPoolDataSource and set maxStatements to a value larger
than zero.

A requirement for progressing with this proposal, is that suites.All run
without failures. I am aware that the time until feature freeze is
getting very tight, and "semi-permanent" failures in the regression test
would be unacceptable.

Another requirement is committing a patch for DERBY-3441 ("Determine and
implement a proper procedure for resetting a prepared statement for
reuse in a statement pool"), since the current code causes an error that
is very easily provoked.

FYI, the feature can easily be disabled again at a later time (before
the release).

regards,
--
Kristian