db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: junit license
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2008 17:27:58 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> Well, well. As it so happens, just last month there was a discussion
> of this on legal-discuss. See [1], [2], [3], [4], [5], and [6].

> So, while not a part of the official policy on the matter, the
> not-so-unofficial policy is that if you check it into Subversion,
> follow the NOTICE requirements as if it were a release, since
> Subversion is publication (from [2]) while not necessarily
> distribution.
>
> The fact that other projects aren't following this exactly is no
> excuse for Derby not to be diligent in light of the discussion above.
> So, if you want to check junit.jar in to the repository, it should be
> ok. Just be sure to follow the requirements in the policy linked
> above, as junit.jar is a Class B licensed artifact according to that
> policy. Once that has been followed, it should also be acceptable for
> us to include it in an official release, since if the policy has been
> followed to the letter, all necessary legal requirements should be
> satisfied.
>
> Crossing my fingers I didn't mess up the citations, and also I'm not a
> lawyer, etc., etc.,
> andrew

Thanks for doing the research on this, Andrew, and I agree.  I've
watched the debates over the last couple years over whether the code in
svn constitutes a release (not surprisingly, there are diverse
opinions). It's better to provide info in the NOTICE where it may not be
strictly required (or may not seem to be), than to miss including info
that turns out to be required.

 -jean