db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Narayanan <V.Naraya...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Opinions please - some questions regarding replication
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:08:53 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>> Narayanan <V.Narayanan@Sun.COM> writes:
>
>>> "If you try to load a class in a sealed package from another source
>>> other than the JAR file in which the sealed package lives, the JVM
>>> will throw a |SecurityException|."
>>> here http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-jar/#N101D6 as the
>>> last line in the Package sealing sub-header.
>>
>> By "load a class ... from another source" I think he means that the
>> loaded class is located in another source, not that the code that causes
>> the class to be loaded is in another source.
>
> Right, derbynet.jar uses sealed classes from derby.jar, so sealing is
> not an issue here.
>
> Dan.

Well I guess I misinterpreted this. But just thinking aloud why isn't
derby.jar sealed in
entirety if  sealed classes can anyway be used from outside?

Well maybe because the presence of the class was required in other jars
as well and
we wanted to allow the derby build system to include these classes in
the other jars
without causing a sealing violation similar to Derby-2701 (keeping with
the explanation
given by knut).

Well I must admit I am not entirely clear about the sealing in the jar
building system of
derby. I will dig in more here.

Narayanan