db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: junit license
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 05:19:52 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2008 2:45 PM, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>> I just downloaded junit 4.4. It comes with a BSD license. I notice that
>> we don't check junit.jar into our codeline  however. Is the BSD license
>> incompatible with Apache 2.0? I am not a lawyer, but it seems that we
>> would satisfy the conditions of the junit license if we included a
>> copyright notice and disclaimer in our NOTICE file.
>> Other opinions?
> If we don't redistribute it in any of our release artifacts,

If it's checked into svn then be definition it is in our release
artifacts since our source release is a snapshot of the source tree.

> I don't
> believe there's a need to add any notice. There are plenty of examples
> of other projects that have checked junit.jar into the repository, and
> do not give notice in their NOTICES file. See, e.g.:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xerces/java/trunk/tools/
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/trunk/lib/

Not sure that's correct, the proposed policy indicates an entry in the
NOTICE file is required.

> and notice in Xerces's case that they include the license along the jar.

There is a proposed apache policy on 3rd party licences at:

(there may be a newer version)

View raw message