db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Junit test problem
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:45:15 GMT
Jazarine Jamal wrote:
> I made a code change and then when i run the  junit test:
>
> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.suites.All
>
> some 5 tests get passed and then some E occurs and then the test never
> gets further. No error message comes out too...
>
> This is the same state for 12 hours..
>
> What could be the reason.?

Hard to say, but it's probably an environment problem or your code change :)

A few hints that can be helpful:
  * use jstack to see where in the (Derby) code the test run is stuck
    (doesn't always give helpful information)
  * use the graphical test runner to more quickly see which test fails/hang
  * re-run the test or subsuite to pinpoint the problematic area
  * run without your modifications to ensure there are no environment
problems
  * use a debugger to step through the test

In your case, I would start by investigating the tests that resulted in
errors. If you don't know which tests these are, have a look at
suites.All and start with the first suite added/run (note that JUnit
does not guarantee ordering for all scenarios).

In general, you can check the state of suites.All by looking at the
daily test results or the tinderbox test results:
http://dbtg.thresher.com/derby/test/

hth, see you have gotten more answers already as well :)
--
Kristian