db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jørgen Løland <Jorgen.Lol...@Sun.COM>
Subject Opinions please - some questions regarding replication
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:52:39 GMT
I have a few questions regarding replication that would be great
to hear the community's opinion on before the 10.4 branching. The
reason for bringing this up before code freeze is that these will
have impact on existing applications if changed later.

1. The master of a replicated database ships log records and
    other information to the slave through a network socket. 8001
    is currently default port for this communication. From
    http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers it seems that
    this port is reserved for

    vcom-tunnel    8001/tcp    VCOM Tunnel
    vcom-tunnel    8001/udp    VCOM Tunnel

    Should we change port, and maybe even register a port in IANA,
    or is it fine as it is? I have no idea how long it will take
    to register a port, but chances are it will be longer than the
    time we have for 10.4 with the current plan. Another
    alternative is to use a port from the range called "dynamic
    and/or private ports" (49152 through 65535) BTW: I noticed
    that 1527 is registered by Oracle, which may also be a
    problem?

    tlisrv          1527/tcp    oracle
    tlisrv          1527/udp    oracle

    Note that this is only a question of default port. The port
    number may be set explicitly by the client starting
    replication.

2. About a week ago, Dibyendu Majumdar raised a question about
    why the replication modules are placed under services and not
    store. Should replication be moved from
    org.apache.derby.{iapi|impl}.services.replication to e.g.
    org.apache.derby.{iapi|impl}.store.replication, or is it OK to keep
    the current placement?

3. Should replication be shipped in a separate JAR file? Pros and
    cons as I see it:

    + Remove 65KB (unjared) of class files from derby.jar
    + Possible to have a different security policy file for replication?
    - Yet another JAR file

--
Jørgen Løland