db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reducing module dependencies
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:24:10 GMT
Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

>> 2) Such constants would probably no-longer be in-lined by the java
>> compiler, leading to potentially slower code as a field lookup is needed.
>
> Not sure about this, as a final value should be in-lined regardless of
> how it is initialized. But this can be tested, I suppose.

I mean a final field in class A can only be in-lined in class B at
compile (java source to byte-code) time if the compiler can determine
its value. I think this is only currently true if the field is a literal
(or set to another final field that is sourced from a literal). If the
final value comes from file through a method call then the compile will
not be able to in-line it.

At runtime the jit can probably in-line, but that's not what I meant.

Dan.