db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Vemund Ostgaard <Vemund.Ostga...@Sun.COM>
Subject Using EMMA for codecoverage analysis
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 15:22:01 GMT
Hi,

I've been trying to run the Derby testsuites with EMMA to measure
codecoverage, and after troubling a little I have a few questions and
comments.

I hit some problems both with the old test harness and the new junit
testsuite in relation to the securitymanager. I haven't analyzed it
fully, but both seemed to be caused by the emma codebase wanting to
access files on the disk and/or system properties.

I also stumbled on a test for derbyrun.jar in the old harness. It forks
a java process running derbyrun.jar with the -jar option, so no matter
what you set your CLASSPATH env to you still only have derbyrun.jar in
the classpath. This test then failed when running with instrumented
jarfiles as it couldn't find the classes it needed from emma.jar. There
might be other tests with similar problems, this was just the first one
I stumbled on when running the derbytools subsuite.

Ideally I think the tests should be run in their normal configuration
(with security manager if that is the default), also when running
codecoverage measurements. It would also be good if it was possible to
run all the tests. My immediate thought was that this would require
modifications to policy files and possibly individual tests like the
test for derbyrun.jar, but there may be better ways to get around these
issues that I haven't thought about. I know that EMMA is being used by
others in the community, how did you get around these problems?

Is there in principle anything wrong with making changes to policy files
and/or tests to make it easier to run codecoverage measurements with the
EMMA tool?

Vemund