db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Should EmbeddedSimpleDataSource be serializable?
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:01:53 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Kristian Waagan wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was working on a test for serializing and deserializing data
>> sources, when I found out that EmbeddedSimpleDataSource can't be
>> serialized.
>>
>> Should it be possible to serialize EmbeddedSimpleDataSource?
>
> When I added EmbeddedSimpleDataSource I intentionally did not make it
> serializable, not sure where the @serial tags came from. I saw creating
> data sources from a stored representation as more a J2EE capability
> (e.g. appservers). I thought that it was unlikely that J2ME applications
> would need to have stored data sources, more likely that they would just
> hard code the data source for that specific application.
>
> Note that the regular data sources have actually three ways of being
> stored, serializable, referencable or as a class name and a set of java
> bean properties. The latter approach will also work for
> EmbeddedSimpleDataSource.
>
> So, I would say only make EmbeddedSimpleDataSource if there's some
> demand for it, I wouldn't do it just to make it the same as the others.

Thanks for the information Dan.
I have not picked up any signs of demand for a serializable version of
EmbeddedSimpleDataSource, I was just a bit confused by the tags and
pieces of the code. You also point out that it is already possible to
store the data source by using the third technique you mentioned.

I created DERBY-3387 to track improvement of the comments and a few
pieces of code.

--
Kristian