db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Should EmbeddedSimpleDataSource be serializable?
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 10:14:12 GMT

I was working on a test for serializing and deserializing data sources,
when I found out that EmbeddedSimpleDataSource can't be serialized.

Should it be possible to serialize EmbeddedSimpleDataSource?

The @serial tags suggest so, and (at least some of) the intended
platforms/JVMs include java.io.Serializable. However, they do not
support javax.naming.Referenceable. This fact may be the cause of the
problem, as Derby has a ReferenceableDataSource that the other data
source implementations inherit from. It is this class that implements

Fixing the problem can be as simple as implementing
java.io.Serializable, but there might be more to it (adding
serialVersionUID?) and I do not know if it is even supposed to be

View raw message