db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Dag H. Wanvik" <Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM>
Subject Impending release branch cut; how to mask unifinished roles feature
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 04:55:58 GMT

Hi,

I am considering how to disable the committed roles code for 10.4,
since the feature is not yet finished.

The easiest and least intrusive way is just to let all new roles syntax
give rise to:

    ERROR 0A000: Feature not implemented: ROLES.

and remove RolesTest from lang/_Suite.java. This leaves the dictionary
changes (adding SYSROLES) in place, but I don't have any plans to
change the format further, so having this in SYSROLES for 10.4 seems
to cause no harm.

The release notes will need some notes about the new reserved words,
and the appearance of SYSROLES in the dictionary, I guess.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach, or should I do a deeper
surgical cut? The proposed shallow approach, apart from being simple,
also has the benefit of keeping the branch source closer to trunk.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Dag