db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Use of 'Existing Application Impact'
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:45:28 GMT
I'm looking through issues that are marked with 'Exiting Application
Impact', and there seems to be conflicting interpretations of what this
attribute actually means.

I have always assumed that it meant: "The fix for this issue, when
implemented, will cause a visiblie change in behavior that could affect
(and in the worst case break) exiting applications".

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3333 appears to be using the
attribute in this fashion.

There are, however, other issues where the reporter appears to have
meant something akin to "This bug/lack of feature affects (my) exiting
application in some negative way".

An example of this is:

And then there are the border-line cases such as

which is a request for better error messages. I guess it is possible that an
improved (changed) error message could break some application.

Personally I would like to remove the attribute from issues that don't
qualify according to the first definition. I think that would make it
easier to track those issues that really could affect existing
applications. What do other people think?

--
dt