db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Closing old jiras
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:59:07 GMT
Hi everybody,

I know that according to the official workflow for Derby:

http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html#%22Close%22+your+bug+once+it+is+%22Resolved%22

the reporter is supposed to close the issue: "As the submitter of a bug,
it is your responsibility to verify a bug fix and "Close" the issue."

As some of you may have noticed, I violated this rule today and
bulk-closed issues that were resolved, but had not been
updated in the last 12 months.

I considered making a "Could this be closed now" comment, but decided
that the extra mail traffic wasn't worth it.

Unfortunately there are another 135 resolved issues that have not been
updated in the last 6 months:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&updated%3Abefore=24%2FJul%2F07&status=5&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

And 241 that have not been updated this year:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&updated%3Abefore=31%2FDec%2F07&status=5&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

Perhaps we need to amend the workflow rules with a time limit, so that
resolved issues can be automatically closed? Or should someone (like the
release manager) perodically remind people that they should close issues
they have reported?

I guess it is inevitable that some issue-reporters leave the community
so there will always be some bulk-closing now and then. But surprisingly
many of the resolved issues are actually reported by people who are
still active in the community. So perhaps the workflow rules do need to
be revised...?

--
dt