db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Derby Testing
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:36:07 GMT
Jazarine Jamal <jazarine4derby@gmail.com> writes:

> Also can anyone help with performing derby tests using netbeans...?

I found it to be a bit tricky. As you probably have noticed, Derby
doesn't follow the JUnit pattern that Netbeans expects, (there is no
top level tests directory).

I assume that you have imported Derby as an ant project using the xml
file in the tools/ide/netbeans directory. Then you should be able to
configure the ant target used for testing in the project properties
dialog. You should be able to select junit-all as the target, but I have
not been able to make this work.

If you have the same problem, you could create your own ant target in
build.xml which runs a java task which runs junit.textui.TestRunner. Or
you can create a separate project which uses Derby as a library (create
a new library with the Derby jar files or classes directory). In the new
project you can let Main.main() call junit.textui.TestRunner with args
(or hard coded arguments if you prefer).

I have not yet found a way to run the old harness tests from within
Netbeans. The problem, I think, is that unless you specify
useProcess=false the harness will fork off new processes to run the
tests, and since Netbeans doesn't put the classpath into the environment
the tests aren't able to find the classes. In theory, you should be able
to add Derby to CLASSPATH before starting Netbeans, but haven't gotten
that to work either...

--
dt