db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Leak in client if resultset not closed
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:54:24 GMT

> If I run the program below with
> java -Xmx32M RepeatStatement
>
> I will get an OutOfMemory error in the client.

Hi Kathey,

I tried your program and saw the OutOfMemoryError on trunk and
10.2.1.6. It does however not run out of memory on 10.1.3.1, so I'd
suggest that you log a bug and flag it as a regression.

According to VisualVM (http://visualvm.dev.java.net/) the objects that
fill the heap (mainly char arrays in the cursors) cannot be garbage
collected because there is a reference chain to them from
SectionManager.positionedUpdateCursorNameToResultSet_ (a Hashtable). If
I were to guess, I'd say that this could be related to the changes in
DERBY-1183.

--
Knut Anders