db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Are SimpleApp.java and SimpleMobileApp.java missing package statements?
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:28:23 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> If I run "ant all" twice in a row in my environment, SimpleApp.java
> and SimpleMobileApp.java are always re-compiled.
>
> It seems like this may be because the directory structure of the
> source code indicates that SimpleApp.java should be in package 'simple',
> and SimpleMobileApp.java should be in package 'simplemobile', but
> in fact neither .java file contains a "package" statement.
>
> Do others experience this same behavior?

You are right, ant does not recognize Simple*App when re-running "ant all",
probably for the reason you state. Package placement is currently not entirely
consistent among the different demos.

For example, nserverdemo/NsSample.java belongs to the package "nserverdemo" and
resides in the directory demo/programs/nserverdemo/ (in -bin distributions),
while simple/SimpleApp.java belongs to the default (unnamed) package and resides
in the directory demo/programs/simple/. Neither of these follow the
recommendations in the Java spec (to use full package names, org.apache...).

There was consensus to keep SimpleApp in the default package, see comments to
DERBY-223 [1], but this can of course be changed if so desired.

--
John

[1]: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-223 (Change programs under demo
directory use consistent package names so IDEs do not report errors)