db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Strange NPE in 10.1
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:33:00 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Following the possible codepaths through the BrokeredStatement
> constructor we could get to XAStatementControl.getRealStatement() which
> might have a null xaconnection. I could try fixing DERBY-2142, if you
> think it might be related. Seems a little like a shot in the dark since
> they say they have only a single connection going at the time, but I
> suppose it would be good to have that fixed anyway.

Even with a single connection there's a chance that multiple threads
could be involved. There could be a thread that is performing the
connection pool management, it gets the notification the connection has
been closed by the application and then it executes statements to reset
the physical connection to a known state. That kind of behaviour would
hit DERBY-2142. No idea if that is actually happening in this case though.

Dan.