db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Use of 'Existing Application Impact'
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:12:57 GMT
Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM writes:
>
>> I'm looking through issues that are marked with 'Exiting Application
>> Impact', and there seems to be conflicting interpretations of what this
>> attribute actually means.
>>
>> I have always assumed that it meant: "The fix for this issue, when
>> implemented, will cause a visiblie change in behavior that could affect
>> (and in the worst case break) exiting applications".
>
> This is my understanding, too.
>
> +1

+1 from me.

I don't think missing features or different behavior of Derby compared
to another DBMS that break an application qualifies for the attribute.

If the attribute is set for a bug regarding deviating behavior, I would
assume it is because the new (correct) behavior will/can break existing
applications and not because an application broke because of the
incorrect behavior in the first place.

--
Kristian