db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compatibility issue for 10.4
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:19:42 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

[snip]

> DERBY-2109 reduces our exposure to denial-of-service (and possible theft
> and corruption) attacks

What are the possible theft and corruption attacks?

[snip]

> 1) If the customer has written their own security policy file (the usual
> and recommended situation), then the customer will need to add some
> extra permissions to that policy file.
>
> 2) In order to bring down the server using NetworkServerControl, the
> customer will need to supply username/password credentials.

 > I regard (2) as the fix to some serious bugs.

It might be useful to think about these as two separate issues, it's
really an implementation detail that DERBY-2109 addresses both of them.

Item 2) does fix a bug (has it been reported as a Jira issue?) where
unauthenticated users can shutdown a network server and database engine.
So Item 2) could be fixed without system authorization (DERBY-2109)
changes, thus the justification for introducing 2) as a backwards
compatibility issue might be different to introducing 1).

Dan.