db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Compatibility issue for 10.4
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:13:45 GMT
John Embretsen wrote:

> Can you elaborate on why having to change the policy file is more
> disruptive than most other (incompatible) changes introduced in new
> versions?

Most incompatible changes will require change of the application and
deployment of a new jar file.  The policy file is likely to be
customized to the end user site, allowing specific machine access,
providing specific paths etc.  Typically I would think this would be
done as part of the software install process initially, but if changes
are required on upgrade then it means more than just placing a new  jar
file.  It means a more involved install procedure or perhaps even
editing of the policy file at the end user site.  For large roll outs
this can be quite cumbersome.