db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: PermGen space: OutOfMemoryError
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:37:02 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> I know JUnit holds on to references to all the test classes so I am
> wondering if we are just starting to hit the point where we have too
> many classes loaded.  I can't quite see how my small change for
> DERBY-3316 could cause this. I am running without my change to see if I
> still get the error.

I think your assumption is correct, that JUnit keeps increasing its PermGen
usage because we are running more and more tests as part of suites.All:

August 1, 2007:     9185 tests
October 1, 2007:    9683 tests
January 14, 2008:  10148 tests

After all, JUnit creates a new instance of the test class for each test fixture,
as far as I know - and apparently does not release them until every test is
done. If I remember correctly, you mentioned a while ago we could ask JUnit
developers about this [1] - did you do that?

If your analysis of the problem indicates other culprits, be sure to let us know...

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200710.mbox/%3c471D0173.6000602@sbcglobal.net%3e

--
John