db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Testing of derby.log
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 20:56:06 GMT
Vemund Ostgaard <Vemund.Ostgaard@Sun.COM> writes:

> I'm looking at converting some old tests for derby.log to JUnit.
>
> The nature of these tests mean that derby.log will be deleted by the
> tests, and I will have to shut down the engine to be able to test the
> effect of changes to properties.
>
> Does this mean that these tests should not be a part of one of the
> regular suites in suites.All, but rather be run in it's own jvm to
> avoid deleting history from other tests and rebooting the Derby
> engine?

I think derby.log is overwritten several times during suites.All anyway,
so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. The engine is also rebooted
a number of times, see for instance DatabasePropertyTestSetup.setUp().
Even if we were able to keep a single derby.log with all the history
from suites.All, it would probably be very hard to find the relevant
part of it because of all the negative tests.

--
Knut Anders