db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject advice sought: introduction of new system table on trunk
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2007 14:26:02 GMT

In the roles work I am introducing a new catalog, SYS.SYSROLES.
I am considering impacts of committing new the code to trunk and would
appreciate some advice.

- In the event that the roles feature is not ready for 10.4, it would
  need to be backed out, which could cause some turbulence in a
  release end-game. Is this an acceptable risk, or should a new
  feature which introduces a new catalog be on its own branch until it
  is ready (with the ensuing merge pains) ?

  I would prefer to stay on trunk, but realize there is a potential
  downside if the feature is not ready in time..

- When committing the patch for DERBY-3137, until I include hard
  upgrade code to add the new catalogue, an upgraded database will
  lack the new catalog and fail whenever a role related statement or
  expression is used ERROR XSAI2: The conglomerate (-1) requested does
  not exist. Some tests which are sensitive to the number of catalogs
  would also fail when run against an upgraded database for the same
  reason.

  In the spirit of incremental development, is it OK to check in the
  new catalog code (hard upgrade doesn't break; it just doesn't do all
  it is supposed to do yet), or should I wait until I have a patch
  that handles the upgrade as well?

Thanks,
Dag