db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems with release note generator
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 23:41:50 GMT
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
> > Well, I found my problem, The issue was that my release version  did
> > not match the fix version in the fixedBugsList.xml.  I am not sure the
> > best way to address this.  There are three options I can think of.
> >
> > 1) Change the release note generator to ignore the version in the
> > fixedBugsList.xml file.
> > 2) Merge version 10.3.1.5 to 10.3.2.0 when we bump the version so that
> > there is a match.
> > 3) Mark issues fixed in 10.3.1.5 also fixed in 10.3.2.0
> >
> > I tend to think option 1 makes the most sense. Since the user is
> > already generating the list of fixed bugs from a query in Jira. Thoughts?
> >
> > Kathey
> >

> Hi Kathey,
>
> It appears that the 10.3 version of the ReleaseNotesGenerator has
> diverged from the version in the development mainline. The mainline
> version does something very simple: it just includes all of the bug
> fixes from the report which you produced. That is, it assumes that your
> jira query did all the necessary filtering. The 10.3 version takes
> another approach. The 10.3 version filters the jira report. I think the
> motivation behind this was that jira filtering wasn't competent enough
> to produce just the list of bugs we want to describe.
>
> It would be nice to steer toward the following goals:
>
> 1) A canonical jira query which can be cooked up just from the current
> and previous release ids. If we had such a query, then the
> ReleaseNotesGenerator could build this query itself and you would not
> need to produce the bugs list by hand.
>
> 2) A clear understanding of what additional filtering is done by the
> ReleaseNotesGenerator on the canonical jira report.
>
> Right now the division of labor between (1) and (2) is unclear to me. It
> seems to me that right now each release manager has to figure out what
> query to use for (1) and then has to adjust (2) accordingly.
>
> Your solution to your immediate problem is probably correct. It's hard
> for anyone else to say because we don't know what query you used to
> produce (1). I would say do what makes sense to you and fold your edits
> into the 10.3 version. Maybe when we come to 10.4 we can transfer the
> 10.3 lessons into the mainline version of ReleaseNotesGenerator and
> steer closer to our goals.
>
> Hope this is helpful,
> -Rick

My 2 cents: For 10.3, when I tried to get a useful xml report out of
JIRA (I used the 10.3/java/build/org/apache/derbyBuild/JiraConnector
for this) I found that the queries would not support multiple
conditions. This got progressively worse with each release candidate.
After attempting to figure this out for a long time, I went the path
of least resistance and - as Rick guessed - I edited the
ReleaseNotesGenerator.

Myrna