db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David Van Couvering" <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Re: Installing a SecurityManager by default when the server boots
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 22:51:42 GMT
IMHO, if we are breaking a lot of existing applications, then it was
not a compatible change, and needs to be turned off.  I understand the
value of "secure by default' but I think this has to be balanced
against the value of Derby as a very quickly easy to use and run
database which makes it a favorite of developers.  If it becomes too
security-heavy it loses one of its key value propositions.

Those who want to deploy in production and are worried about security,
we should make it very easy to turn on the security manager, e.g. with
a single flag in the network server startup command.

David