db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: question about java/testing/org/apache/derby/build.xml file
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:26:49 GMT
Hi Kathey,

I think that we do indeed want to make this change. However, currently
we don't require that you set java15compile.classpath. It is set
automatically only if you include "autosetProps=on" in your
ant.properties. This is the trajectory I thought we were on:

1) Continue to collect improvements to the PropertySetter, which was
checked in today as part of DERBY-3117 and which we have been discussing
in the thread titled "Automatic setting of compiler classpath properties
at build time"

2) After we finish collecting improvements, make "autosetProps=on" the
default.

3) Then we can count on java15compiler.classpath being set and we can
make the change you propose.

You can, of course, require that everyone set java15compiler.classpath
in their ant.properties now. If you do that, please make the build smart
enough to complain if java15compiler.classpath is not set and give the
user instructions for how to fix their build. I think that the
trajectory we are on will break the build for fewer people.

Regards,
-Rick