db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Michelle Caisse <Michelle.Cai...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Searching the Derby Documentation
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:43:40 GMT
Jørgen Løland wrote:

> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> Laura Stewart wrote:

>>> I think that what we really need to invest in is changes to the code
>>> that generates the docs, so that an index can be created with the
>>> output.  Many index entries are already in the DITA files for the
>>> documentation and are not exposed because the code that generates the
>>> output is not setup to support index generation...
>>>

>> +1 to the idea of generating an index. The old Cloudscape index used
>> to be very helpful and I think that a lot of that work has been
>> preserved in the existing index entry markers.
>

> This may be a silly question, but why are we using dita when there are
> good tools for this? Why aren't we using LaTeX?

We definitely need a tool that can generate an index, but the UI for
creating docs in LaTeX is very cumbersome, awkward, and inefficient. Of
the mark-up languages I've used (nroff, html, and LaTeX), it is the most
difficult to work with.

Kim and Laura, I'm curious if you use an xml editor to edit the DITA, or
do you use a text editor?

-- Michelle