db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David Van Couvering" <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Re: Derby Workbench or other GUI
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:15:04 GMT
Hi, Slamak.  I am the database architect for NetBeans, and also a
committer on Derby.

You can actually change the database directory using Tools->Java DB
Database->Database Directory.

However, it is currently hard to set other properties, such as host
and port number.  And it doesn't work well with multiple directories,
as you mentioned.

Also, NetBeans does generally do most of its work with the network
server versus the embedded driver.

You are not the only one asking about an independent tool for Derby,
and that they like what NetBeans provides.  Rather than duplicate all
this effort, I think there's a way we can work together.

What I highly recommend is you look at using NetBeans as a *platform*
for your tool.  NetBeans is a composition of fairly independent
modules, and you can use it to build your own desktop application
fairly easily.  Take a look at http://platform.netbeans.org and also
there is a book on this called "Rich Client Programming with
NetBeans", see

http://www.amazon.com/Rich-Client-Programming-Plugging-NetBeans/dp/0132354802

A lot of people are doing this already.  The advantage here is you can
take advantage of what we've already done for Derby integration, and
we can take advantage of the improvements you want to provide.

We have an open development community for the db functionality in
NetBeans going on at dev@db.netbeans.org, send mail to
mailto:subscribe-dev@db.netbeans.org.  Let's work together rather than
duplicate effort.

Cheers,