db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: DRDA confusion
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:46:20 GMT
> Given there is a well documented wire protocol (DRDA) why would we
> invent a new different wire format for some commands?
>
> Following an open standard is a good thing and does allow other parties
> to implement clients against Derby.

Well put.

I think I worded my message too strongly. Let me try again:

Given that:
  - our client talks only to our server
  - there aren't any freely available compliance tests for DRDA that
    I know of
  - most of the community doesn't know much more about DRDA than what
    we read in the spec

How would we know whether we had implemented the wire format correctly
or not?

That is, if we give our best shot at implementing this new SQLSTT
verb, but we don't get the wire format exactly right, what would be
the actual implications for us?

As you mention, it would make it harder for other parties to implement
clients against Derby, but are there such parties and such clients?

thanks,

bryan