db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: DRDA confusion
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:58:19 GMT
>> I'm trying to understand how the DRDA spec is implemented in the
>> client driver and on the server. Specifically how to write and parse
>> an SQLSTT command.

Hi Dyre,

I'm afraid I don't have any particular advice; it seems like you
are looking in the right places in the spec.

One idea would be to pick some other, somewhat similar, DRDA command
that *is* implemented, and step through the client and server code
that implements it in your debugger, and figure out what wire formats
get used, and then that should help in figuring out how to interpret
what the spec says regarding the SQLSTT command.

But I have a more abstract question: do we need to care what wire
formats are used? That is, since our client talks only to our server,
and this is a brand new DRDA command (at least, for our code), there
is no wire-incompatibility issue here. As long as you construct an
operational implementation, do we have to care whether our internal
wire format exactly matches the format intended by the DRDA spec?

thanks,

bryan