db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: building j2me support in Derby
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:34:13 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>>
>>> B) Are there other ideas about how we could get Derby unencumbered
>>> jarballs so that we always build the small device support?
>>
>> Two possible options:
>>   1) Look for an open-source J2ME option, Motorola has done MIDP but I
>> haven't seen any Foundation open source projects.
>>   2) Take the Apache Harmony J2SE source and produce foundation &
>> jsr169 jar files.
>>   2a) As 2) but kick off an Apache J2ME project so that all can share.
> Or
>
> 2b) Provide stubbed out implementations of the foundation and jsr169
> classes. These would just throw runtime exceptions. You couldn't test
> against these classes, but you could compile against them.

Actually I think 2) and 2b) are not possible. The ASF is part of the JCP
and thus is contracted to only distribute standard Java code if it
implements the spec (which 2b doesn't) and passes the TCK (which 2 fails
on because I don't think the Derby project wants to get into producing
certified J2ME environments). If you want to check this you can ask
questions on jcp-open@apache.org.

Dan.