db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Vemund Ostgaard <Vemund.Ostga...@Sun.COM>
Subject Converting tests to junit
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:39:49 GMT
Having a wish to contribute to the test conversion effort I've been
looking at the wiki to figure out where to start.

I found this wiki page,
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/KillDerbyTestHarness, that has a list of
all the subsuites from the old harness testsuite and a status for the
number of tests converted. The last update on this page seems to have
been in May, so I'm not confident it is totally up to date with the
current status. Anyhow, from that page I gathered there was a focus on
the derbylang suite, which seemed a good place to start, so I looked at
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/LangJunitTestConversion for the details.

Wanting to start with something not too big to get to know the junit
framework first, I found the tests logStream.java and errorStream.java,
that are related to the same area and aparently noone is working on.

So, I hope I can just create a jira for the conversion of these two
tests, and add the jira to the "notes" column on
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/LangJunitTestConversion, and that will
be sufficient to avoid anyone else starting to work on the same tests? I
also hope that it is sufficient to look at that page to make sure noone
else is allready working on it, or should I search jira as well? Anyhow,
I'm asking here to be sure.

I was a bit surprised to find these two tests that test functionality of
the derby error stream in the derbylang suite, which I expected to be
only sql-related tests. Maybe they didn't fit well in any other suites
either. Is it a goal for the conversion to keep basically the same set
of subsuites as in the old harness testsuite?

Vemund